Thursday 5 February 2015

The hobgoblins are here

At long last, I am ready to present my new hobgoblin army and its associated terrain, which I am calling the crystal river. This all took twice as long as I thought it would, which had me puzzled until I finally boxed them up. They are twice the size of my previous armies.
above is the bridge over the crystal river, with the stronghold (the crystal palace?) behind. The board and army are designed for use with HOTT, but with my own take on this. This board is 4 feet by two feet, larger than proper, but ready for multi-command large battles.

a better view of the crystal river, with waterfall, bridge and stronghold.

Aerial heroes; all six of them. Lots of perspex. where I play HOTT, aerial heroes have been popular for stronghold storming, kamikaze style.

closer aerial heroes. All ground forces and aerial heroes are microworld games. The flyers are irregular miniatures and the airboats are from uncharted seas.

The entire army in view

close-up of the great trolls pulling archer wagons - these will be behemoths.

behind the behemoths come the masses of trolls - mixed stone lobbers and club-wielders. I liked these trolls, so made 17 bases of them. They will be warband for HOTT.

Yep, I love these trolls.

The hobgoblins have artillery

and they have hordes, each led by a troll

Well, it is called "Hordes Of The Things"

nice close-up view of the lurkers/sneakers. These are the land version.

More lurking land sneakers

Heroes on land - these turned out really well, in my biased opinion.

Water lurkers - the river runs right across the board and is crossed by the bridge wide enough for three bases side by side. This means lots of scope for water lurkers - I made eight of them.

The hobgoblin air force - six airboats, twelve flyers and a backing troupe of six dragons. The dragons are microworld - they do these so well. The airboats are uncharted seas and the flyers are the hugely brilliant fiendish orc fokkers from irregular miniatures.

close up of a banking hobgoblin flyer.(spider-riding knights in the background).

watch out for the airboats!

Ok, let's have some beats - eleven bases of wild boar - microworld intend them for their minotaur army, but I think they go well as hobgoblin helpers, sweeping ahead of the main force.

yeah - they look good

so good, here's some more shots

hobgoblin mages

shooters

aha! the spider riders - for use as riders in HOTT; I really really love these. I made twenty four bases.

as you may see.

and four bases of gargantuan spiders - knights for HOTT.

dragons to the rescue!

a nice shot of the army at an angle

the whole army from the side.

over the bridge come the warbands.

So that's that then. Sorry about the photos - I'm in a hurry here tonight. Better and more to follow.
Next up will be a martian themed army in March - with a Mars terrain board of course.
I hope you like.

1 comment:

  1. I was puzzled by your Aerial Hero stronghold assault force - how do they capture a stronghold? Aerials can't do it on their own unless they can double it, which isn't easy even with an Aerial Hero general in the lead (1 in 9 chance)

    ReplyDelete